Beginning in January 2016, Missouri University of Science and Technology has opted to participate in Missouri Department of Revenue Debt Offset Program.  Any balances deemed noncollectable or referred to an outside collection agency are eligible to be referred to the State Department of Revenue in an attempt to intercept any state income tax return funds that could be applied to an unpaid debt.  The University will seize any funds available, regardless of your repayment status or pending agreement with an outside collection agency.  If your state income tax return is intercepted you will receive a mailed notice, and be given 30 days to file an appeal.  If you wish to contest the tax offset, and want your situation reviewed and request a refund of the intercepted funds, you must submit your request in writing to:

 Missouri Univ of Science&Technology
Cashiers Attn: Tax Offset Appeal
G4 Parker Hall
Rolla, MO 65409-1160

 It is important that you include your Missouri S&T ID # and/or SSN in your written request.  All requests will receive a response via U.S. Mail.  If your appeal is granted, or partially granted, a refund will be issued within 5 business days of the University actually receiving the funds from the State Department of Revenue; it typically takes 30 – 45 days from the date of offset for the tax offset funds to be received from the state.  Unless otherwise stated any granted appeal with a refund issued should not be considered a waiver or discharge of the debt.

All requests will initially be reviewed by the Cashiers and Collections Office for any errors. Any specific charge that is disputed will be reviewed with the appropriate originating office and will be verified or corrected as necessary.

 If an appeal is initially denied your response will have an explanation of the debt and documentation of the debt. When applicable, although a tax offset appeal may be initially denied the debtor maybe be referred to the appropriate existing standard University process to appeal or petition their debt. If after receiving your denial letter and reviewing the documentation provided you still dispute the debt and want to provide evidence that supports your dispute you may request a formal meeting to present your evidence to the Tax Offset Committee. However, you must first exhaust all existing standard appeals processes including but not limited to: parking ticket appeal, tuition and fee appeals, retroactive withdrawal petitions, and residency status appeals.